Friday, February 25, 2011

Recap



This post should be short and sweet about my experiences thus far as Ms. Elder. I will be posting some pictures as well. :)

I've learned that life as Ms. Elder is hard, but it is so rewarding and well worth it. I've only been student teaching now for four weeks total, and I have four more weeks to go at Solana Vista Elementary School in Second Grade with Mrs. Hishmeh. After that, I switch to Skyline with Mrs. Durward in a 5-6th combo class. Time sure if flying by fast, and I'll definitely miss the second graders in Mrs. Hishmeh's class as well as her. I can't say enough how much of a blessing it has been working at a wonderful school with a phenomenal teacher. It amazes me how quickly you can become attached to the students in your class.

Today I came to realize some parallels with teaching and my daily life in regards to time. Throughout a given day, my teacher uses every minute of the day-whether that be doing prep work, teaching, or planning for the following week. The same should be true for my life at home. I need to be using my time wisely, not wasting any minute of the day. Another parallel is that when we plan for the following week, every single time, at least one thing changes in the schedule. Sometimes it changes right after we plan, other times it changes during the day or week to follow. The same is true with my life outside of teaching. I make plans and set a schedule, but most of the time, my to-do list changes or doesn't all get accomplished. I also have discovered that you learn as you go how to do things well; you make mistakes and sometimes fail; but that doesn't stop you from getting up and moving ahead in teaching. The same is true with life. Hardship and challenges come, but that does not mean we stop everything and give up. We get up again and continue on this journey.

I would like to introduce you to my fabulous Master/Cooperating Teacher! Here is a short video clip of her teaching. Now you can see why I rave about her so much ;)




Here are some pictures below from Mrs. Hishmeh's classroom that she allowed me to share. Isn't it adorable? :)










Now I will show you a couple of pictures of things that I taught (on chart paper, in small groups) and helped contribute to the idea (tree of love).






Here are some pictures of what the students have been working on and/or learning.





So, a recap thus far has been that teaching is a lot of work. So much more goes into it than you think. Teachers care mostly about the success of their students and with each student being unique, with their own learning style, it is challenging to differentiate the curriculum. This means making sure each student is receiving the appropriate work at their level (approaching, on-level, beyond). I've learned that teaching will involve making mistakes. I've learned that I would actually love to teach second grade. They are so adorable, love to learn, and they are a bundle of joy. They are quite the chatterbox, but know how to show respect if you expect it from them. I've enjoyed my week off, but I can't wait to see the students again. I've learned that some days are harder than others. I've learned that when I pursue Him with all my heart, and ask for Him to help me, the days are much easier and better than if I don't include God in them. And, of course, I love grading papers. I love using a planner. I love getting organized. (Staying organized is key) I love children and look forward to more years as Ms. Elder.

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing "Ms Elder" God has truly blessed you and I know he will continue to do so! Im glad I got to here your testimony, you helped remind me that in him i am capable to do anything my heart desires. Thanks Katie!

    ReplyDelete