Tuesday, March 29, 2011

So Long 2nd Grade...



 


Last week was my 8th week at Solana Vista Elementary School in Second Grade with Mrs. Hishmeh. and her class. It was definitely a tough week for me. I realized that the hardest thing for me as a teacher will be saying goodbye to my students as they move up to the next grade. Who am I kidding though to not know that would be the hardest part for me? I am such a relational person and children have such a big place in my heart. I was only in this particular class for 8 weeks and I fell in love with these students and would love to teach Second Grade one day. They are eager to learn and highly receptive to love, enthusiasm, and encouragement. Each student is unique and nobody is like anyone else.

 


  
Early in the week, my Master Teacher asked me if everything was alright because I didn't seem like myself. I shared with her that I was having a hard time knowing it was my last week in her class with these students at Solana Vista. I felt as though I finally got comfortable and settled in at this school and then I had to leave. I love the school and all the staff there are wonderful. My teacher encouraged me and reminded me that my next experience will be just as great as this one was. I realized that day that even though I was sad, I needed to make the best of my last week! And so, I did! I enjoyed every last minute of it. (as you can see to the right)

One little girl in particular never failed to remind me daily how many days I had left. She didn't want me to go. Everyday she'd say "Do you have to go? Whyyyyyyyy? I don't want you to go. Please stay." lol No wonder it was even harder for me to leave this adorable class. (She gave me a sweet card-see left picture...it made my heart melt.) The great thing about teaching versus student teaching is that I'll keep teaching at the same school (Lord willing) and so I'll be able to see the students the following year. I am going to surprise these students and show up at their Open House next month and hopefully I'll be able to Substitute Teach for them one day. :)

I had such a great experience in my first placement for Student Teaching. It was truly a blessing. I came across something in my Dream Journal that I believe is a clear picture of my Master Teacher. It was from December of 2009. I wrote "I remember being in a classroom and I was helping a teacher I met the week before. She was a great teacher-disciplined her students and was strict, but not too much. Just enough to have her students love her. I think it was second grade". :) And, I prayed before my placement that it would be right where God wants me to be. I heard horror stories about Student Teaching and I knew God is full of blessings. I confidently walked into this placement knowing He had a purpose for me there. I gained so much from this experience.



 One of the things that I believe was definitely a gift from God is my Master Teacher. She truly is a phenomenal teacher. She's sweet, loving, patient, kind, compassionate, caring, and the list goes on. She's very organized and well prepared. She always gets things done right away when she is asked to do something by someone. She even completes things in advance. Sometimes, I'd call her the little fairy. lol I'd be doing something such as making copies or teaching a small group and going about my day when suddenly I'd notice a change in the classroom. The vocab words would be changed for the following week, something new would be put up, copies that were my responsibility would get done. I was amazed at her ability to use her time wisely. She only took a break during lunch and recess. She'd work through every minute of every day that she had available, whether that be planning, prepping, or teaching. Even when there were only two minutes left before Recess, she'd say...Ok friends, we have two minutes left and I'm going to use it, so let's do this....That reminds me of something else I picked up on and love. She called her students "friends". I love that and definitely used it myself and know one day I will when I have my own classroom. Another great thing about my teacher is that she was so open to communication. We had many conversations after school about life in general. I really enjoyed talking with her. She and I both knew this was the start of something new for us. We will be lifelong friends. I will be babysit her kids. She will be my Teaching Mentor. I am completely blessed to have had such a great experience in my first 8 weeks of Student Teaching and God deserves all the glory for that. He truly works ALL things together for our good. (See Romans 8:28 in the Bible)

Teachers teach because they care about their students and want them to be successful learners. My Master Teacher surprised me with the students on the second to last day. Some parents came, they posted a sign and showered me with love and gifts. I almost cried. I opened the door and this is what I saw:


(Imagine 20 kids yelling "Good Luck Ms. Elder!" all at once and hearing "Goodbye Ms. Elder" lol while seeing the students altogether and then proceed to try and give me hugs all at once) It was a moment I'll never forget. I wanted to show some photos of what they gave me as gifts because they were so near and dear to my heart. I was given a tote bag with teaching patches on one side and the students from Room 6's signatures on the other side. Each student gave me their favorite book to start my classroom library. Mrs. Hishmeh put together a book with the students pictures and a note to me below their picture. I will post the notes only. :) Now you can see why I love teaching so much and can't wait to jump into this profession. I know this is what God created me to do and I can't wait to have my own classroom one day. I can't believe that time is almost here! Enjoy this journey with me through the photos. :)






   






























1 comment:

  1. How cool to see the fruit of all your hard work! And this is only the beginning!

    ReplyDelete